A woman has attacked police for incompetence after they failed to turn up in court when her child-abusing ex-husband got his second discharge without conviction.
The Sunday Star-Times reported last month that police had to apologize to the woman after her husband – a Tauranga professional – was discharged and awarded name suppression after senior officers watered down the facts against him.
Expecting better service after the man pleaded guilty to further charges of breaching his protection order, the woman was horrified when a police prosecutor failed to show up for the man’s hearing in the Auckland District Court on Thursday.
“It beggars belief,” she said, “I don’t know whether we don’t matter or what.”
Unusually, the case went ahead without a prosecutor and the woman was forced to hear her ex-husband get a second discharge without conviction and permanent name suppression without anyone present to represent her side.
Police made a second apology to the woman on Friday saying their no-show came down to an “administrative error”.
Police Prosecutions national manager Inspector Mike Johnson said police “strive to do our best for victims”.
“[We] are very sorry that due to this administrative error this did not happen on this occasion.”